Skip to main content

Happy Mother's Day


I do not remember what I saw when I opened my eyes for the first time. Going by the writing of others, it must have been happy and sparkling eyes of my parents. Since I was the first child I surely did not have confusing face of a sibling around me! And I gather I had my maternal grandparents around. But all this is just the information I have got from others. I honestly do not remember what it was like to be born.
But that is not important. What is important is that my grandmother was there on my mother’s side when I was born. And she was there again when my brother was born.  It is not her fault that my youngest brother decided to arrive a little too early and that spoiled her plans. But she came rushing as soon as she got the news. That probably justifies the love she has for all of us. She saw us when we were useless naked ugly creatures. We cried and pooped whenever we felt like, having no respect for the hour or the living beings around us. She loved us then, how can she stop now?
But all those years, when I was busy growing up and she was busy growing old, we loved each other the same way we did when I was a toddler and she was my favorite story teller. She always taught me good things. God only knows how much of it do I remember now. I don’t remember a time when her hair was not so grey! As I said I do not remember much from my earlier years, but since when I do, I remember those wrinkled hands stroking my hair, those tired eyes sparkling with joy when a kid in house is around, that sad mouth and streaming tears when we had to depart after a vacation. It never changed. She was not a whiny old aged woman. She always was the cool granny who wanted us to be good human beings.
After I got married, she once came to my in laws place to meet me. And few days after that, I went back for a ritual at my parent’s place along with Varun. Same day she was going back after the ceremony. She hugged me and blessed me as always. But this time she did not cry. I found it strange at first, but then I saw in her eyes that she was happy and content. She liked Varun. She was sure he would take care of me. She blessed me to be good and happy.  No usual crying session this time. It touched something deep down me. I know she loves my father as a son. She had accepted Varun as same. Even if I was crazily in love with Varun, her acceptance was very reassuring. And I was a little jealous too. I have had that place for more than two decades in her heart. Varun cannot just walk in today and share that! But I am sure I would never know the depth of her heart. I have seen the attentions of my uncles and aunts shifting away when their kids were born, and rightly so. But I never saw granny giving more attention to anyone else. And I am sure every child in the family felt the same. She was there for everyone all the time. In her presence all cousins felt connected and not remotely jealous of sharing our beloved granny. I guess no one ever felt that she was being shared. She has this quality of making everyone feel special and no one was ever left out.
She has always been a source of love for me, in fact, for all those who know her.  After my marriage, when I have more responsibilities than I ever had, she has become an inspiration too. If ever I could be that comforting, supporting and loving to my family, I would be proud of myself. And even if that does not happen, I know she would still love me, as ever. 

Comments

  1. oh! Di this is soo beautiful! really.. I wish Dadi could read this. Every single line of this post is so true and directly from the heart.its one of the most beautiful thing i hv evr read. we all feel the same love which you have expressed!
    "And I am sure every child in the family felt the same. She was there for everyone all the time. In her presence all cousins felt connected and not remotely jealous of sharing our beloved granny. I guess no one ever felt that she was being shared. She has this quality of making everyone feel special and no one was ever left out."
    Of course.. no one. I can never forget that day at your wedding when she hugged both of us and cried! that moment just got engraved on my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asking questions are truly pleasant thing if you are not understanding something totally, however this piece of writing provides good understanding even.

    Feel free to surf to my weblog ... phoenix criminal defense lawyer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Textures of an old soul

In 2008, I was in Sacramento, California. As excited as possible for a boring 22 year old nerd to be, I went exploring the city on my own. I asked my cab driver if the old Sacramento town was worth the time and money spent considering it was far from the uni. The cab driver, as all cab drivers do, started talking and to cut the long story short, on knowing I come from India exclaimed, “You come from Jodhpur you say? Why are YOU visiting old town? It is not even that old by your standard! Don’t you come from a city 1000 years old?” It filled my heart with joy and pride that he knew about my city and knew it so well. And I remember this story every time I visit my hometown. I always wanted to visit all those monuments back and relive my childhood memories. There never was enough time! Or let me say I never ran out of excuses. Since I have always stayed in boarding school and hostels, this place had always been the place you go back to with tired, worn down spirit. It has some heal

The Woman that she is

With a broken heart and a broken soul, Burns down to ashes, and emerges as whole. Sparkles in the sun, gets washed in the rain, She cries like a river, but isn’t defeated by the pain. She might be called stubborn, selfish, a whore She laughs it off, and it’s all washed ashore. She swims with the tides and against it too She is strong like a rock, delicate like the dew. She falls down, but stands up every damn time She knows very well, failure is not a crime. She limps, she walks, and here she started to run. She might lose the race, but the game she won.

Mid Night Muse

You are chocolate flavored cupcake in the bakery shop, In the world of formal shoes, you are my flipflop! You are the scent of fabric conditioner, on freshly washed sheet! In those indie songs I listen to, you are my favorite beat! You are the warmth of the sun at eleven on a sunny day, You are my favorite verse of all the things I say! You are the oversized, cozy sweatshirt of mine, You are the reddest of the red wine. You are the fragrance of baby soap on my skin at night, In these confusing left lanes, you are always right. You are the joy of finding an old note in a book. You are the 'plain' maggi that you cook. You are a cuppa on a rainy afternoon, You are the coolness of nightly sand dune.