Skip to main content

Textures of an old soul


In 2008, I was in Sacramento, California. As excited as possible for a boring 22 year old nerd to be, I went exploring the city on my own. I asked my cab driver if the old Sacramento town was worth the time and money spent considering it was far from the uni. The cab driver, as all cab drivers do, started talking and to cut the long story short, on knowing I come from India exclaimed, “You come from Jodhpur you say? Why are YOU visiting old town? It is not even that old by your standard! Don’t you come from a city 1000 years old?”

It filled my heart with joy and pride that he knew about my city and knew it so well. And I remember this story every time I visit my hometown. I always wanted to visit all those monuments back and relive my childhood memories. There never was enough time! Or let me say I never ran out of excuses. Since I have always stayed in boarding school and hostels, this place had always been the place you go back to with tired, worn down spirit. It has some healing properties I swear!

 

But this time when I visited my family back home, I made it a point to explore the city which had always been home. And guess what, cities grow up and around, just like human beings. So there was an unexplored familiarity about the place. It was still home, but it felt that few pieces of furniture have been moved around. It has been so long that it all felt new! And I realised I always carried a piece of it in my heart, so it still felt mine!

 

The thing which strike me most is how we associate textures with our memories. I always associated colours and shapes with it. Not knowing how important a role textures play! Science says sensory memory is called haptic memory. I did not know much about that. So I was in for a surprise at how comforting and striking out the textures were. So I picked up few which subconsciously always stayed with me.

 


Jodhpur is known as the blue city of India. Reason being the ancient houses were painted blue for keeping them cool. Remember the city is also called Sun City for the fair share of sun we get!  If you stand at the top of the fort what you see is harmonious range of houses painted blue. But take a closer look and you will see the randomness. For me simply touching a wall in old city means a trip down the memory lane. Old walls, some made up of stones, some being smothered by layers of mud over them in order to keep it cool during the summer.

Run your hand over the wall and you will feel years of history, layers of paint freshly done every Diwali, after a death in the family, after many births, after when innocent hands leave a not so innocent coloured hand print to say ’I was here!’. It is like the wrinkles on an old person’s face, holding in its creases many stories. Little rough to touch with a sensation it leaves on your fingers moments after you leave them behind.


Just like the creases I see on the face of this old man who has been sitting at the same place making shoes since I remember. He has not aged a day. He has been old since last 20 years! The same white beard and dyed hair, wrinkled hands, white head gear and the toothless smile! Now the toothless smile is my imagination. That of course is new. He knows the city and its stories like the back of his wrinkled hand. He tells stories with such passion that his eyes and smile brightens up your day. With back hunched over his tool with so much of concentration that you would be afraid to break the spell even by moving. But the moment you greet him, his smile opens up a world, a world which is just found in memories now. In few years he will be but a memory. But he will be a memory which brings such a wave of comfort that I was really taken aback. I was surprised at how vividly I remembered the texture of his beard, his face and hands, the shoes he makes, the tools he uses!

 



Another thing I share with all the residents of the city is the security we get from the high rising fort. We are past the days of wars. I do not know anyone who has witnessed or remembers those days. But the fort still stands as a citadel of security for all of us. It was said that where ever you go in the city you can see the fort. It does not literally hold true now. But many people still start their day by visiting the temple in the fort.  The temple still witnesses hundreds of devotees on any given day and the wall around the fort and the old city hugs you the moment you step inside the way your father does. Warm and with an assurance! After the wars stopped hundreds of years back, the wall lost the purpose, but it never lost the emotion! I along with many people can still feel safe just by being near it. To me, the texture of this wall and the fort resemble the texture of my father’s hands. My father’s hands when he held mine when I was a small girl.


 

Everybody must have heard of the Dalai Lama saying. Taking the liberty to rephrase it I would say, Once a year go to a place you have never been to before, and once a year go to a place you have always carried in your heart. And all these textures bring the home back to me. The textures which have layered over centuries hiding and telling many stories. These are the textures of an old soul; these are the textures of the place I call home!

Comments

  1. Since Yesterday, I believed that places never grow, they remain our own. Your blog gave me an insight to the part that they do grow. But our fondness to that place never makes us realize it. Very well written of textures of old soul. And from my tiny little experience I can say going back to the place you are fond of always gives you a childlike comfort, sense of composure and calmness. As I always say, there is something in the air there, which makes you breathe in the most homely way, you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply love it !!!����

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Pranali! That is quite sweet ����

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shweta, this is beautiful and it seems like you have put into words exactly what I felt when I visited Jodhpur this year. It was a trip made after a good 15 years and such a nostalgic, heartbreaking ( where did all the time gp?) but fulfilling trip. Thanks so much for sharing this with me. You have such a talent with words. Kudos to you ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Shweta for sharing that.Beautifully written and so evocative.

    It sort of resonated with something i have been doing this last few weeks. My experience is very different to yours, having lived in the same town for 70 years. It grows, and changes almost imperceptibly but of-course now is very different to the way it used to be. The changes are slow and not always obvious. Recently i have been telling people things i remember from my childhood, like sitting at the end of my street on the junction with the main road from Birmingham to London waiting to spot a moving vehicle. This seems so ridiculous now that i was beginning to think my memory was playing tricks in my dotage. With the comparatively quiet period since Christmas, i have been taking the opportunity to catalogue some of my old images that i took back in the mid sixties, and guess what ? Even then i have numerous shots of that main road with hardly any traffic, as the period i was remembering was late 40s early 50s then the fact that i could sit for many minutes waiting for a vehicle to pass is almost certainly true and not my imagination. We used to score a point for being the first to spot a car approaching but the real prize was to get two points for one car which you achieved by being first to spot one that was not black. It just seems crazy now. Streets with no parked cars, houses that looked like(were)slums. Everyone dressed the same. The school boys in short grey trosers, at least up to eleven, in fact pretty well all men's clothes being grey apart from the office workers shirts being white and the manual workers being blue. Not the romantic story like yours, but i find this meandering thread of everything changing yet in a way the underlying structure remaining the same, quite fascinating. It makes me wonder what memories those currently five or ten years old will be sharing and reminiscing about in sixty years time. Beautiful world.



    ReplyDelete
  6. This one's beautiful, di. I don't think I have read a better travel blog post in a long time.

    Absolutely love it!


    ReplyDelete
  7. The purpose and emotions the wall.... The sense of feeling safe by just remembering the moment when we used to hold dad's hand and walk along with him.... Resemblance is amazing Shweta!
    And a nice write-up!😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shweta,
    You use the words in the same way as an artist would use their brush. Paint a picture for people to see what others can't observe on their own.

    You mentioned about a shoesmith who kind of maintained his immortality at the same place. I remember a vendor from college days. He had perhaps borrowed some money and the loan shark would always collect when he got a little better financially. Leaving him practically nothing. But inevitably he would start again and again and again ad infinitum. Starting small selling sandwich and slowly graduating to a stall with rolls, or eggs. Such was his tenacity. He refused help to bail him out. On several visits, I saw him bouncing back from the marauding loan sharks devastating attacks.

    Until last time. I didn't see him. There has been several changes in my college in last 43 years since I joined the college. This change left a feeling of melancholy. Change of texture that made me go back in memory lanes and remember parts of my life passed by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see you.. with your words. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very well described shweta.....have read such good blog after a long time...thumbs up

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agraj Shivam Srivastava20 January 2017 at 18:42

    Reading this article reminds me of my visits to my hometown whenever I visit it...reading it can take anyone down the memories of their childhood.

    Good job Shweta ma'am!! ����

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very well described. .... nice blog Shweta!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderfully woven for a delightful reading shweta! M sorry that it took me a while to finish reading this but i'm glad i did it today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very impressed by your writing style, it's kinda mixture of both contemporary and modern in one post with very rich knowledge which is very rare to see nowadays and I am feeling amazed after reading this post. Thanks for sharing this post and do share more.
    New Fashion Trends

    ReplyDelete
  16. After reading your post I just want to say that keep doing this job more and more and keep on guiding us in a better way. The way you present your work is quite innovative and informative which you don't see these days easily. Keep up with the good and do share more in the coming times.
    Home Furnishing Exhibition

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice Post Dear! i like your article, thanks for sharing the information. Awesome images and content flow, i am also an content writer, write interesting and amazing articles on Horoscope or Rashifal in Hindi or different - different topics. please check on my website mPanchang.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Slot games have always attracted the gamblers. Now with the introduction of these games in the digital domain, things look a lot more convincing. The convenience factors play a huge role in the Singapore online slot game. You can now select your favorite slot game from the wide number of options available on your computer or smart phone screen and enroll for a session without moving your body from the comfort zone. This saves a lot of time and effort in the process.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Woman that she is

With a broken heart and a broken soul, Burns down to ashes, and emerges as whole. Sparkles in the sun, gets washed in the rain, She cries like a river, but isn’t defeated by the pain. She might be called stubborn, selfish, a whore She laughs it off, and it’s all washed ashore. She swims with the tides and against it too She is strong like a rock, delicate like the dew. She falls down, but stands up every damn time She knows very well, failure is not a crime. She limps, she walks, and here she started to run. She might lose the race, but the game she won.

Mid Night Muse

You are chocolate flavored cupcake in the bakery shop, In the world of formal shoes, you are my flipflop! You are the scent of fabric conditioner, on freshly washed sheet! In those indie songs I listen to, you are my favorite beat! You are the warmth of the sun at eleven on a sunny day, You are my favorite verse of all the things I say! You are the oversized, cozy sweatshirt of mine, You are the reddest of the red wine. You are the fragrance of baby soap on my skin at night, In these confusing left lanes, you are always right. You are the joy of finding an old note in a book. You are the 'plain' maggi that you cook. You are a cuppa on a rainy afternoon, You are the coolness of nightly sand dune.