Skip to main content

How not to apologise


 Apparently, I have read enough of self help articles on the click bait websites. The side effect is I am talking in points and oozing wisdom. Before this gets irritating and someone smacks me back to my senses, I should impart some of this wisdom to the world. I am a kind soul after all! This is one of those ten perks of being Indian. Other include good food and dazzling clothes. I wish I could help you with that but since I don’t have time for elaborate cooking and being a minimalist, my wardrobe isn’t overflowing with abundant useless stuff, wisdom and kindness is what you get here! So, how not to apologise?

1.      You are not entitled to an apology! The earth was here first, remember? You honestly didn’t think you can march in and demand something you are yet to earn. This is the real world, unfortunately, most of the times and words have some real impact here. In fact, I would like to extend this philosophy to other aspects of life. If you haven’t earned it yet, you are not entitled to it. Simple as that!

2.      You might have to eat your words so put just enough spice in there for you to handle. Now, I understand the spur of moment talks, flaring tempers, ego at their boiling points and all the mushy stuff. Guess what, most of the relationships are not strong enough to survive these jolts. ‘Giving it back’ was not the aim of this conversation. If it was, why are you still reading this article?

3.      Give it some time. This must be the most repeated phrase in the world. If not, it should immediately become one. There aren’t many things time can’t heal. Most of the instant fixes suck anyway. Take your coffee for example. And if you like that instant coffee, I don’t really have much to say, my friend.

4.      Not everyone functions in the same way. ‘Talking it out’ might be a good strategy for few people. Others might have a different style of communication. All of us were not cut from the same cloth. Respect their style and communicate accordingly.

5.      Extending that further, respect your boundaries. Remember that a hurt person will be more protective of themselves. If they feel you are being pushy they will retract from the conversation. After that the channel of communication gets closed.

6.      Last and certainly not the least, apologise sincerely. Half-hearted apology, being compliant to the procedure apology, and the most common one ‘since I am the bigger person here’ apology – they are a dime a dozen. Just like any other thing in abundance, they are of no value. If you don’t mean it, you don’t say it. It can’t get any simpler than that.

And when you are done learning this stuff, go practice it on someone you really want back in your life. Forgiveness is a gift which when given makes one richer. So, by getting that you are doing the giver a favour. Just don’t let this haughtiness get into your head yet. Not before you get what you seek. After all, timing is the key to everything.


Comments

  1. "Respect" love your style of writing Shwets......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading it ! Meaningful with added quirkiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an interestng take indeed. Loved reading it. Would want to chat more about this though. My favourite part, however: “And if you like that instant coffee, I don’t really have much go say, my friend”.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Textures of an old soul

In 2008, I was in Sacramento, California. As excited as possible for a boring 22 year old nerd to be, I went exploring the city on my own. I asked my cab driver if the old Sacramento town was worth the time and money spent considering it was far from the uni. The cab driver, as all cab drivers do, started talking and to cut the long story short, on knowing I come from India exclaimed, “You come from Jodhpur you say? Why are YOU visiting old town? It is not even that old by your standard! Don’t you come from a city 1000 years old?” It filled my heart with joy and pride that he knew about my city and knew it so well. And I remember this story every time I visit my hometown. I always wanted to visit all those monuments back and relive my childhood memories. There never was enough time! Or let me say I never ran out of excuses. Since I have always stayed in boarding school and hostels, this place had always been the place you go back to with tired, worn down spirit. It has some heal

The Woman that she is

With a broken heart and a broken soul, Burns down to ashes, and emerges as whole. Sparkles in the sun, gets washed in the rain, She cries like a river, but isn’t defeated by the pain. She might be called stubborn, selfish, a whore She laughs it off, and it’s all washed ashore. She swims with the tides and against it too She is strong like a rock, delicate like the dew. She falls down, but stands up every damn time She knows very well, failure is not a crime. She limps, she walks, and here she started to run. She might lose the race, but the game she won.

Mid Night Muse

You are chocolate flavored cupcake in the bakery shop, In the world of formal shoes, you are my flipflop! You are the scent of fabric conditioner, on freshly washed sheet! In those indie songs I listen to, you are my favorite beat! You are the warmth of the sun at eleven on a sunny day, You are my favorite verse of all the things I say! You are the oversized, cozy sweatshirt of mine, You are the reddest of the red wine. You are the fragrance of baby soap on my skin at night, In these confusing left lanes, you are always right. You are the joy of finding an old note in a book. You are the 'plain' maggi that you cook. You are a cuppa on a rainy afternoon, You are the coolness of nightly sand dune.