Skip to main content

Hundred Happy Things: The Power of Honesty

What happens when you decide upon a deadline and don't meet it? In some cases, you might even die or cause deaths and destructions. Fortunately, a little punishment would be enough in this case.

It is the fourth day from the last blog post. I did what I am best at doing. Procrastinating! But I cannot abandon this thread. It is way more personal than any of you can imagine. In fact, it is way more personal than I would ever mention aloud.

Twist in the story is, this particularly incident is not what I witnessed, but in my defence, I heard it straight from horse's mouth. It took place in Jodhpur, my very own sun city. It resurfaced day before while working in kitchen on an omlette.

In the year 1999, The Lonely Planet listed a small shop from Jodhpur as the "The omlette shop". Cheap price, quality and the element of surprise made the man behind the counter a superstar and his business boomed after it. So much so, that he scrapped everything else off his menu and started cracking open around 1000 eggs a day. Not many of us get stricken by that kind of luck. God alone knows I can do with a pinch of that at the moment!

My brother with a friend of his from college went to the famous Clock Tower in search of this place. Now if you have not been to this place, it is more like a blast from past. There is this famous arch and in the middle of the market stands the clock tower. There are shops everywhere, for almost everything imaginable. There are many more shops than meet the eyes, tucked in every corner possible. And it is crowded. To some it is tourist place, to others it is more like a business district.
Now, my brother and his friend turned left after entering the arch (or was it right?). They found an omlette shop as described, and ordered for the same. My brother mentioned to his friend about the history of the shop, overhearing which, the shopkeeper told them that this was not the shop they were looking for. He pointed into the direction to another Omlette shop located on the other side. He said "If you are in for the famous one, it's that one".

My friends with a better business sense would consider this guy a fool. What did he just do? He just sent away a customer to a competitor.  Are not we used to the fact that everyone around gets a share when something from a city attracts tourists? How many shops have you seen claiming to be oldest, famous or "the authentic" one? Does not the whole city starts selling the same thing and try to fool the traveler with stories about their own place?

And here is this fellow, willingly losing business, in a place where if he simply had ignored the conversation, never said a word and served what they asked for would technically be honest. He never lied, never boasted, never deceived. He just happened to be situated just opposite to "the shop" and yet he wanted none of its glory. It was an innocent mistake on the part of the customer, for which he need not suffer.

What he chose instead was a simple seven letter word. Something we demand from our politicians, our officers, even from our vegetable vendors. Yet very conveniently ignore it when it comes down to us. I see every third person around blaming the system, cursing the government for the lack of it. And I am not exaggerating. It's been the same experience across the globe. However, I don't see people practising honesty as much as they demand it from everyone else. Needless to say, this man was an exception. He is the kind of hero we need. Sure Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr. to be specific) would be good. But we need more of the "honest Omllete valas" around the corner. Even better, we need to be the honest "omlette vala". I am not serious about the omlette part, but honest part is still valid.

 I hope I can capture a photograph of this man and his shop to feature here, along with the article, on my next visit home.



P.S. In the predictable turn of events, this guy touched the hearts of my brother and his friend. And they decided to ditch the "original" one for the "honest" one. I am sure The Lonely Planet would understand!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Textures of an old soul

In 2008, I was in Sacramento, California. As excited as possible for a boring 22 year old nerd to be, I went exploring the city on my own. I asked my cab driver if the old Sacramento town was worth the time and money spent considering it was far from the uni. The cab driver, as all cab drivers do, started talking and to cut the long story short, on knowing I come from India exclaimed, “You come from Jodhpur you say? Why are YOU visiting old town? It is not even that old by your standard! Don’t you come from a city 1000 years old?” It filled my heart with joy and pride that he knew about my city and knew it so well. And I remember this story every time I visit my hometown. I always wanted to visit all those monuments back and relive my childhood memories. There never was enough time! Or let me say I never ran out of excuses. Since I have always stayed in boarding school and hostels, this place had always been the place you go back to with tired, worn down spirit. It has some heal

The Woman that she is

With a broken heart and a broken soul, Burns down to ashes, and emerges as whole. Sparkles in the sun, gets washed in the rain, She cries like a river, but isn’t defeated by the pain. She might be called stubborn, selfish, a whore She laughs it off, and it’s all washed ashore. She swims with the tides and against it too She is strong like a rock, delicate like the dew. She falls down, but stands up every damn time She knows very well, failure is not a crime. She limps, she walks, and here she started to run. She might lose the race, but the game she won.

Mid Night Muse

You are chocolate flavored cupcake in the bakery shop, In the world of formal shoes, you are my flipflop! You are the scent of fabric conditioner, on freshly washed sheet! In those indie songs I listen to, you are my favorite beat! You are the warmth of the sun at eleven on a sunny day, You are my favorite verse of all the things I say! You are the oversized, cozy sweatshirt of mine, You are the reddest of the red wine. You are the fragrance of baby soap on my skin at night, In these confusing left lanes, you are always right. You are the joy of finding an old note in a book. You are the 'plain' maggi that you cook. You are a cuppa on a rainy afternoon, You are the coolness of nightly sand dune.