Skip to main content

Hundred Happy Things: The Power of Hope

Blame it on poor health, but having not left the house for many days deprives you of many things. These stories I intend to write are one of them.  It's been almost two weeks now that I am house arrested for this terrible lung infection I have. I always wanted a vacation, just not of this kind.
And for the promise I made to myself, I had to dig up stories from past. Well, the thread must go on! Another incident which knocked at my door last week is related to my household help.
She seems to be in her late thirties going by the stories she has told me. To the naive eyes, she won't look a day older than 25. A mother of four, and a wife of a construction worker she has a lot going on in her life. She is unlike some of the people I came across from her trade. I, along with many Indian ladies, have had both good and bad experience in terms of house helps. They can at times be pain in neck. But if there is some good karma in your kitty, you would find one who is nice.
My karma did not seem so great until few weeks back. After my last experience with another help, who was great and motherly, I stopped comparing. I just knew you don't get lucky twice.
But she was no trouble either. She was punctual, regular and honest. I must admit I was bit reserved with her. There was a lot going on in my life and mornings were mostly contemplation time for me. In a way, she never had a reason to open up to me.
Few weeks back I caught this terrible cold I mentioned earlier. Things got so horrible that I skipped office, spent entire day on my bed, had temperature and was coughing and vomiting all the time. I had my brothers with me on weekends, but weekdays I was alone the entire day. In their defense my brothers didn't even know the extent of problem.
One day I was coming back from hospital with all the nasty x-ray reports in the afternoon. This female, after getting done with the first shift of her work, was going home for her afternoon break. We met at the society gate and exchanged pleasantries. She got to know I was sick. She said all good things people say when they meet someone who seems helpless.
The difference was, she meant it. I came home, changed and having no strength left for food, dozed off on the couch. At around four, somebody buzzed the door bell. Mustering up the courage to face whoever it was, I was in for a surprise. She was there. Usually she comes at around eight in the evening.  First thought was, since she knew I was at home, she wanted to get done with the errand early. I was about to say something to the effect of she should come back at the usual time when she asked if she can do anything for me. I didn't get it for a minute. She explained that she knew I would be home alone and that I needed to eat and have my medicines, she thought of stopping by to ensure that I do it.
I really didn't know what to say. She came in, saw that there were no plates in sink, meaning I have not really had anything after she left in the morning, made me have a late lunch and asked twice about my medicine. When she left, I again had no clue how to thank her.
Next day onwards, it was a routine. On days when I was alone, she would visit me twice, before and after her afternoon break, besides her regular schedule. She made sure I was fed and had my medicines on time. This routine continued until my mother visited me.
A female who is not so close to me had my back at a time when I needed. She took out time from her busy schedule when some so called best friend thought whatsApp messages to ask why I was not coming to office were good enough. The time spent at my place meant time spent away from her kids, but she did it nonetheless.
And guess what, she was not supposed to do it. She had indebted me in a way I would not be able to repay.  A gesture out of blue, a memory for life.
What did this incident teach me? Not to lose faith in humanity. When someone can go out of their way to help, to support  someone not expecting it in their wildest dreams, hope, faith and humanity have a hearty laugh and make the days little more brighter.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Textures of an old soul

In 2008, I was in Sacramento, California. As excited as possible for a boring 22 year old nerd to be, I went exploring the city on my own. I asked my cab driver if the old Sacramento town was worth the time and money spent considering it was far from the uni. The cab driver, as all cab drivers do, started talking and to cut the long story short, on knowing I come from India exclaimed, “You come from Jodhpur you say? Why are YOU visiting old town? It is not even that old by your standard! Don’t you come from a city 1000 years old?” It filled my heart with joy and pride that he knew about my city and knew it so well. And I remember this story every time I visit my hometown. I always wanted to visit all those monuments back and relive my childhood memories. There never was enough time! Or let me say I never ran out of excuses. Since I have always stayed in boarding school and hostels, this place had always been the place you go back to with tired, worn down spirit. It has some heal

The Woman that she is

With a broken heart and a broken soul, Burns down to ashes, and emerges as whole. Sparkles in the sun, gets washed in the rain, She cries like a river, but isn’t defeated by the pain. She might be called stubborn, selfish, a whore She laughs it off, and it’s all washed ashore. She swims with the tides and against it too She is strong like a rock, delicate like the dew. She falls down, but stands up every damn time She knows very well, failure is not a crime. She limps, she walks, and here she started to run. She might lose the race, but the game she won.

Mid Night Muse

You are chocolate flavored cupcake in the bakery shop, In the world of formal shoes, you are my flipflop! You are the scent of fabric conditioner, on freshly washed sheet! In those indie songs I listen to, you are my favorite beat! You are the warmth of the sun at eleven on a sunny day, You are my favorite verse of all the things I say! You are the oversized, cozy sweatshirt of mine, You are the reddest of the red wine. You are the fragrance of baby soap on my skin at night, In these confusing left lanes, you are always right. You are the joy of finding an old note in a book. You are the 'plain' maggi that you cook. You are a cuppa on a rainy afternoon, You are the coolness of nightly sand dune.