Skip to main content

Letter to a self-proclaimed leader


 

Hi Sir,

It’s funny how I have to call you sir now, to keep you anonymous. Due to the company’s culture and the influence of western work ethics on me I always addressed you by your first name. When I did, that is.

You are a Stanford MBA, working in a MNC at a very high position, as crisp dressed as your likes should be. Everything that makes you ‘successful’, everything that can make you neighbour’s envy, owner’s pride. You are used to people listening to you, youngsters looking up to you and your juniors asking for your advice. You must know what responsibility feels like. Or do you?

I vividly remember when I met you for the first time. Being in the same company, I had asked for an introduction to some legal recruiter in Australia. I was moving countries; I was digitally exploring the market. In case you thought I was asking for much, when one sends a request to connect on LinkedIn it asks to confirm if they ask that person. I used to think LinkedIn checks it against your profile if you say you have worked together (apparently, they don’t) so I didn’t lie. And I could not send a request if I declared I didn’t know that person (and who said honesty works!). So I got an option to ask you to introduce me to that person. And that is what I did.

I almost forgot about it. And then you pinged on Lync, asking me why I want to be introduced to that person. I was not sure how I felt about it. Having worked globally, not many things surprise me. Management reaching down to middle tier employees was not unheard of for me.  I explained, you offered advice and asked me to fix a meeting with you for discussing the possibilities of my transfer to the Sydney branch. So I did that.



Something you do not know, I went around and asked a senior if this meeting would be of any help at all. He being the good person that he is did not say anything against you (you have a reputation for being a swollen head, thought you should know) but told me to go ahead as even if the meeting was fruitless, I didn’t have anything to lose after all. How wrong he was!

I stepped into the room for that meeting. You were 20 minutes late. You did not apologies, just mentioned that the previous meeting dragged longer than anticipated. No sorry for wasting 20 minutes of my time! They were right; you were a swollen head after all. I wish this was my real complaint though.  

You asked me to explain the ‘situation’ again. I did. And it is simple, my husband and I planned to move to Australia. He shifted base first, found a job and settled things for me. Meanwhile I held the fort back home and now was making the big move in two months’ time. I was looking for a job, probably a career change too. And I was looking for references. Not guidance from you, just references.

But you did not understand it. Not the scenario, not the purpose of my being there. You asked me “what is it I really want from life”. Who were you again? A hierarchical senior who was supposed to give me a reference to use. That is what I though. You looked at yourself as mentor, a coach, a life guru. You had started to fail miserably. You had the audacity to ask me if my husband can support me! When I tried dodging that question, you became ‘direct’. Your words were “tell me Shweta, if your husband can financially support you or not?” Did they not teach in B school the concept of public and private? I was a bit adamant. Yes my husband could support me by all means, but it was not about that. For around 7-8 minutes I kept saying it was not about my husband. It was about my ambitions, my financial independence. How hard was that to understand Sir? I was so disgusted and angry that my eyes were moist. And in that moment I gave up on you. You simply failed, as a leader and as a person for me. I said yes my husband could support me. You had the joy of victory in your eyes. Next you gave me a marriage advice. You told me to “talk to your husband; communicate more with him and to know what he wants. Shop less, spend wisely. That way you can still be financially independent.” Would you have said the same if it was a male colleague of mine asking for a reference?

You went on with a monologue about how great your marriage was, how efficiently you had shifted base with kids, and how successful you were. I listened to you with a smirk, which you probably mistook for a smile. I sarcastically said that “I will talk to my husband and figure out what I want from life”. I was not surprised that you could not sense the sarcasm. How could you? For past 25 minutes you had been so self-absorbed you had hardly noticed what I was there for or how I felt.

 

That day I walked out of your office disgusted. You still were a mediaeval man clothed in a decently priced suit. Along with it you were a self-obsessed another brick in the wall MBA. You are not a leader. It was high time someone told you this. I have had mentors at the same position you acquired at that time, and let me tell you something. Leaders don’t pry upon someone’s personal life. They listen and advise, not just rant about their own life. Leaders don’t have the pressure of being superior. They value everyone’s time. Leaders do not pretend to be a life expert while handing out out-dated chauvinist advices.


 

P.S. I witnessed you flirting with an intern who was highly uninterested. And then again, I witnessed her trying to make an escape when you approached. I took personal interest in ensuring she was out of your claws that evening! Some sadistic pleasures are totally worth it. And about your great marriage, Atta boy!   

 

 

Comments

  1. He he! I know who you are talking about. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #BangOn girl!
    You trigger me for my next writeup always, even when I don't really feel to write :-)
    Thanks for this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you have written and how you wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to visit this, Your article totally interesting have you seen!
    Life status

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Textures of an old soul

In 2008, I was in Sacramento, California. As excited as possible for a boring 22 year old nerd to be, I went exploring the city on my own. I asked my cab driver if the old Sacramento town was worth the time and money spent considering it was far from the uni. The cab driver, as all cab drivers do, started talking and to cut the long story short, on knowing I come from India exclaimed, “You come from Jodhpur you say? Why are YOU visiting old town? It is not even that old by your standard! Don’t you come from a city 1000 years old?” It filled my heart with joy and pride that he knew about my city and knew it so well. And I remember this story every time I visit my hometown. I always wanted to visit all those monuments back and relive my childhood memories. There never was enough time! Or let me say I never ran out of excuses. Since I have always stayed in boarding school and hostels, this place had always been the place you go back to with tired, worn down spirit. It has some heal

The Woman that she is

With a broken heart and a broken soul, Burns down to ashes, and emerges as whole. Sparkles in the sun, gets washed in the rain, She cries like a river, but isn’t defeated by the pain. She might be called stubborn, selfish, a whore She laughs it off, and it’s all washed ashore. She swims with the tides and against it too She is strong like a rock, delicate like the dew. She falls down, but stands up every damn time She knows very well, failure is not a crime. She limps, she walks, and here she started to run. She might lose the race, but the game she won.

Mid Night Muse

You are chocolate flavored cupcake in the bakery shop, In the world of formal shoes, you are my flipflop! You are the scent of fabric conditioner, on freshly washed sheet! In those indie songs I listen to, you are my favorite beat! You are the warmth of the sun at eleven on a sunny day, You are my favorite verse of all the things I say! You are the oversized, cozy sweatshirt of mine, You are the reddest of the red wine. You are the fragrance of baby soap on my skin at night, In these confusing left lanes, you are always right. You are the joy of finding an old note in a book. You are the 'plain' maggi that you cook. You are a cuppa on a rainy afternoon, You are the coolness of nightly sand dune.